Ends in
days
hrs
mins
secs
SHOP NOW

Practice Test + eBook Bundle Sale - Buy our Practice Test and get the supplementary eBook at 50% OFF

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Home Forums Azure AZ-104 Question

• AZ-104 Question

Gerome updated 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Posts
  • elnook

July 21, 2023 at 11:19 pm

Hi,

The question is:

32. QUESTION

Category: AZ-104 – Deploy and Manage Azure Compute Resources

You plan to migrate your business-critical application to Azure virtual machines.

You need to make sure that at least two VMs are available during planned Azure maintenance.

What should you do?

The answer is marked as Create an availability set that has 3 update domains and 2 fault domains

—————————————————————————————-

If I need at least 2 VM’s be available during maintenance, why would I need to select that I need 3 update domains? It would make sense If I selected 2 update domains needed in the answer correct?

I don’t understand the need for the additional update domain if I need to protect 2 VM’s during maintenance can you explain?

• Gerome

July 31, 2023 at 4:52 pm

Hi elnook,

Thanks for bringing up the question.

An Availability Set is a logical grouping of Azure virtual machines (VMs) that are deployed across different fault domains and update domains within a single Azure region. This helps to protect your VMs from unplanned outages such as hardware failures or software updates.

The correct answer is: Create an Availability Set that has three update domains and two fault domains. Because the VMs will be spread across three update domains and two fault domains. This means that if one update domain or fault domain goes down, the other two will still be available. This will ensure that at least two VMs are always available during planned Azure maintenance.

The incorrect option is: Create an Availability Set that has two update domains and three fault domains. Because this would only guarantee that one VM is available during planned maintenance.

Take note that during scheduled maintenance, only one update domain is updated at any given time. A rebooted update domain is given 30 minutes to recover before maintenance is initiated on a different update domain.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/availability-set-overview#how-do-availability-sets-work

Let us know if you need further assistance. The Tutorials Dojo team is dedicated to helping you pass your Azure exam on your first try!

Regards,

Gerome @ Tutorials Dojo

Viewing 1 - 2 of 2 replies

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now